Search visits from organic results are decreasing because Google is replacing above-the-fold and first page results with experiences that keep searchers from leaving Google. A recent study showed that less than 50% of searches result in searchers leaving Google to visit a site. Organic traffic is starting to become anemic for many publishers except for one area, in particular, Google News.
Relevant, informative, and timely news is something Google gives prime visibility to in its search results. They have been investing and creating more resources for publishers, and are continually working on new and different ways to promote news content in its results. This trend benefits both Google and publishers.
Google benefits from continuing to be a destination for finding the best and most current news. They also benefit from advertisements on articles. The vast majority of Google News sources include advertising, and the likelihood of those publishers using AdSense and DoubleClick is very high. Ad serving revenue, along with engagement metrics that Google is believed to collect via ad trackers, makes promoting and sending traffic to publishers very lucrative.
Google News benefits publishers by giving them free premium visibility, the potential for significant traffic, and as a result, revenue from ads. For example, if a publisher can get an article to display in the first slots of the Top Stories carousel, and they do it for a high volume search query, it can result in tens or hundreds of thousands of search visits. Another key benefit of being on Google News is that it can help build brand recognition and trust.
Google News inclusion guide
This detailed guide provides a roadmap for how to structure and fully optimize your site for inclusion in Google News. It’s based on a real-life and recent case study and contains some unique methods and tactics that I have yet to see published anywhere else. The site in this case study was also included in Google News the first time it was submitted, so this guide may prove helpful for those who have previously applied but have been rejected.
Table of Contents
- What Google News cares about
- How to get into Google News
- Focus on the UX
- Make your site fast
- Have a clear headline (hed) and subhead (dek)
- Dynamically using the Excerpt for dek and Meta description in WordPress
- Optimize the byline
- Dynamically inserting the author’s URL in WordPress
- Dynamically inserting the author’s Twitter profile link in WordPress
- Dynamically inserting the article timestamp in WordPress
- Provide detailed author and publisher information
- Add a short author bio at the end of articles
- Create an informative Author page
- Include contact details for the publisher
- Add Schema.org structured data
- Dynamically generating NewsArticle schema in WordPress
- Creating News Media Organization trust policies
- The best writing style and frequency
- How to write for Google News
- How often you should write before submitting your site for inclusion
- Submitting your site to Google News
- What to do once you’re verified and in the News Index
- Create a Google News sitemap
- Continue to publish on a regular basis