Drew Strojny is the Founder of Memberful. Memberful is a subscription service that tightly integrates with WordPress and also works with ESPs, Forums, and E-Learning platforms. Drew created Memberful because he couldn’t find a good solution for his WordPress theme business, The Theme Foundry.
Memberful has become a popular choice for publishers that want to add memberships to their WordPress sites. The service manages all subscriptions, uses Stripe for payments, and hides WordPress posts from visitors that aren’t members. Memberful has become so successful that Patreon recently acquired them.
I’ve used Memberful for several years, and it’s also the membership software I chose for Coywolf Pro. I reached out to Drew to find out more about him, Memberful, and what the Patreon acquisition means for the future of the service.
We discussed the following topics:
- How Drew transitioned from the NFL to founding Memberful
- How his frustrations with overly complicated systems that were trying to do everything poorly was the catalyst for creating Memberful
- How Drew’s role has changed over time since creating Memberful
- How Memberful evolved to support platforms beyond WordPress
- Reason for choosing GraphQL instead of REST for their API, and how it enables customers to extend the subscription service to other platforms
- The early hurdles that Drew faced with Memberful and how he overcame them
- How the Patreon acquisition happened
- Concerns he had about selling Memberful
- How Drew’s life changed after the acquisition
- A sneak peek at an upcoming feature to Memberful
I hope you enjoy the interview!